What does the Careers Department offer?
All students can access this service with the team by booking an appointment either by visiting the Careers Centre or online via Careers Central. Parents or caregivers are most welcome to attend these appointments if they wish and all Career interview notes are added to Career Central for parents or caregivers to access at home.
All Year 13 students are encouraged to seek advice early and Mrs Heta will attempt to see each and every Year 13 student in his final year.
These courses usually run in the school holidays and students can register for these via the Careers Page or discussing with Mrs Scanlen in the Careers Centre.
• Cyber Security/Programming
• Pre-military/police training
• Audio Engineering & Intro to DJ’ing
• Barista and Café Server
• Animal Care
• First Aid (certificate valid for 2 years)
Other courses may be available to meet the interests of students.
• University Presentations are regularly held at the Career Centre including NZ tertiary institutions as well as visits from USA, Australian and other international providers.
• Visits to explore different pathways to organisations such as ETCO, BCITO, NZDF at Whenuapai and local Engineering firms.
• Job Junction is a week in Term 3 where different Industry Training Organisations deliver lunch time sessions discussing pathways in their Trades. Providers include ATT – Plumbing, ETCO, Electrical, NZA Apprenticeships – Building and NZ Marine and Composites – Boat Building and others.
• During Term 3 we assist students with completion of course enrolments, accommodation and scholarship applications.
• Defensive Driving courses are held after school at Heron House and are run by an AA certified instructor at a very competitive rate.
• Work experience placements to gain an insight into specific roles.
The team have recently introduced a new Careers tool to Westlake Boys called Careers Central. We are currently rolling this out to Year 11’s in Careers and Year 10’s in Finance and Society. The boys will have this as part of their Career exploration and pathway planning, following them through to Year 13.
Gateway is a subject choice at Year 13 and offers each student the opportunity to explore a career. As part of Gateway boys will attend a work placement with an employer. They will also research their Career pathway, write CV’s and cover letters and prepare themselves for the world of work.
Mrs T Heta
Contact: 09 410 8667 ext 5267 or e-mail: [email protected]
Careers Assistant/Gateway and Star Coordinator
Mrs F Scanlen
Contact: 09 410 8667 ext 5258 or e-mail: [email protected]